Steminist did a great profile on California State University, Los Angeles Professor Claudia Espinosa-Villegas. Professor Espinosa-Villegas works as a lecturer in the College of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology (ECST) department.
Some of the great tips she gives to future folks in STEM from the profile include:
- Believe in yourself, and do not listen to anyone that tells you that you are not able/good enough.
- Find a mentor(s) and maintain the relationship(s), thank you letters go a long way.
- Do not be afraid to ask for help, it is an incredibly important skill to have and very hard to learn.
- Apply to everything no matter what it is: jobs, scholarships, workshops, internships, etc. Do not disqualify yourself from anything by thinking you are not good enough. Always apply!
- Learn to say NO and don’t apologize for it. Guys don’t sweat it, neither should you.
[Image via gurdonark]